HISTORY OF THE ACADEMY
The American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys was established in 1992 by Armstrong & Fisch, one of the most successful estate planning law firms in the country. After providing two decades of superior estate planning guidance and advice to thousands of legal clients, the firm decided to share their methods and practices with attorneys nationwide.
The Academy is a national organization dedicated to promoting excellence in estate planning by providing its exclusive membership of attorneys with up-to-date research on estate and tax planning, educational materials, and other important resources to empower them to provide superior estate planning services. The Academy expects members to have at least 36 hours of legal education each year specifically in estate, tax, probate and/or elder law subjects. To ensure this goal is met, the Academy provides over 40 hours of continuing legal education each year. The Academy has also been recognized as a consumer legal source by Money Magazine and Suze Orman in her book, 9 Steps to Financial Freedom.
For over 20 years, the Academy has been a highly-regarded and sought-after resource for attorneys and consumers alike, and has been recognized by Consumer Reports, Suze Orman in her book, 9 Steps to Financial Freedom and numerous times by Money Magazine.
WHY ACADEMY MEMBERS ARE UNIQUE
Focusing in Estate and Legacy Planning.
Members of the Academy concentrate their law practices in the area of estate planning and reinforce their expertise daily by dedicating their efforts to clients concerned with preserving what they have accumulated for future generations.
Professional Legal Training.
Academy members receive on-going training specific to the field of estate planning to ensure that their legal knowledge and techniques are based on the latest information and resources.
Members of the Academy are available throughout the U.S. and in most metro areas.
Superior client care.
Most Academy members offer expanded client care services such as in-home consultations, in order to meet the needs of each particular client.
Work with attorneys who focus on estate and legacy planning.
Have your estate plan, legacy plan, and your financial plans coordinated.
Academy members recognize the importance in coordinating your estate, legacy, and financial goals together. Members can work as a team with your existing financial advisors.
Attend seminars on estate and legacy planning topics.
As educators in the field of estate planning, most Academy members regularly conduct seminars in their local areas to inform and educate consumers and financial advisors on estate planning issues.
Receive special reports on late-breaking estate and legacy planning news.
Regularly published consumer alerts provide timely, accurate hot topics in estate planning such as the latest changes to our estate tax laws.
PRESERVING YOUR WEALTH WITH ESTATE AND LEGACY PLANNING
Academy members offer guidance and advice to their clients in every area of estate planning. This list offers a sampling of these services:
- Advanced planning : Get assistance with matters such as Family Limited Partnerships, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, and Charitable Remainder Trusts.
- Asset protection : Receive guidance on protecting your legacy.
- Creditor protection : Find out how you can protect your estate and your heirs.
- Divorce protection : Protect loved ones and get informed advice on these important estate planning issues.
- Estate planning : Receive consultation and planning to ensure that your estate is distributed according to your wishes.
- Legacy Wealth Planning : Create a Legacy Wealth Plan customized to leave the legacy you want.
- Living Trusts : Create a Living Trust customized to address all of your family’s unique needs.
- Long-term health care : Make sure you have properly outlined necessary health care instructions.
- Probate assistance : Get the assistance you need when someone with or without a Will passes away.
- Remarriage protection : Protect heirs and their special interest in the event the surviving spouse remarries.
- Retirement planning : Ensure that your tax-deferred accounts are properly structured to give your family the greatest tax advantages possible.
- Special needs planning : Tailored plans to protect family members with special needs.
- Structured buy-out plans : The plan you create for your children to sell land and assets.
- Tax planning : Preserve your wealth and reduce taxes with proper planning.
- Trust administration : Create a Living Trust customized to address all of your family’s unique needs, and receive guidance when a family member passes away.
- Updating documents : Ensure that your affairs are in order with regular estate reviews. Amend or restate your existing estate plan to ensure its effectiveness.
- Wills : Prepare a Will or other document to outline your wishes.
Disclaimer: The Academy is a membership organization of estate planning attorneys and provides educational and practice management resources to members. The Academy is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional services. An Academy member is not an employee nor an agent of the Academy. The Academy does not certify or test the competency of any attorney who is a member of the Academy.